8/01/2011

There I established a laboratory to study viruses, and to train other scientists to become virologists.



The purpose of this weblog is to teach you about viruses and viral disease. This topic is not one that everyone understands, yet nearly everyone would like to. I was most disturbed when the Secretary of Health and Human Services, Tommy G. Thompson, referred to the anthrax bacillus as a virus. That incident crystallized in my mind the need to better educate the public about viruses.
I am your host at Virology blog - Vincent Racaniello Ph.D., Professor of Microbiology at Columbia University Medical Center. Why am I qualified to teach you virology? I have been studying viruses for over 30 years, starting in 1975, when I entered the Ph.D. program in Biomedical Sciences at Mt. Sinai School of Medicine of the City University of New York. My thesis research, in the laboratory of Dr. Peter Palese, was focussed on influenza viruses. In 1979 I joined the laboratory of Dr. David Baltimore at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where I did postdoctoral work on poliovirus. In 1982 I joined the faculty  in the Department of Microbiology at Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons in New York City. There I established a laboratory to study viruses, and to train other scientists to become virologists. Over the years we have studied a variety of viruses including poliovirus, echovirus, enterovirus 70, rhinovirus, and hepatitis C virus. As principal investigator of my laboratory, I oversee the research  that is carried out by Ph.D. students and postdoctoral fellows. I also teach virology to graduate students, as well as medical, dental, and nursing students.
Since I think about viruses every day, and I have always been interested in teaching others about viruses, this blog seemed to be an ideal forum to convey some of my knowledge on this topic.
Read more http://www.virology.ws/about/

From Polio Australian Incorporate   e-Bulletin , Congratulations for share this excellent link.


Poliomyelitis after a twelve year incubation period 
Virology Blog — 30 June 2011 

Polio this week As of Wednesday 27 July 2011
Wild poliovirus (WPV) cases 



México Post Polio a la vanguardia en el Síndrome de Post Polio

The Polio Crusade

THE POLIO CRUSADE IN AMERICAN EXPERIENCE A GOOD VIDEO THE STORY OF THE POLIO CRUSADE pays tribute to a time when Americans banded together to conquer a terrible disease. The medical breakthrough saved countless lives and had a pervasive impact on American philanthropy that ... Continue reading..http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/polio/

Erradicación de La poliomielitis

Polio Tricisilla Adaptada