Polio Strikes - From the 1940's to the late 1950's
The Later Years
The Problem Today
To the Medical Profession - A few helpful hints
- Have an open mind about this. If you haven't heard about PPS or don't know anything, here is your perfect opportunity to expand your knowledge. Believe me, there will be lots of PPS survivors that would love to know you are at least interested in helping them.
- Educate yourself about Polio and Post-polio. According to studies, the amount of actual reported cases of polio from the epidemic decades ago is probably only about half of the cases as minor, non-paraylic ones may not have been reported to authorities since they might not have sought treatment.
- Don't insult their intelligence. Polio survivors are over-achievers and quite intelligent. They know their bodies and have a very intimate relationship therefore, they listen and recognize a problem when it occurs. Take heed to their comments.
- Listen! When a PPS survivor tells you they can't walk, believe them! Don't continue to ask them really stupid questions like "So, if you could walk, how many blocks could you walk?" REALLY!!! Then, after the survivor tells you again that they can't walk, don't continue with "Well, assuming you can walk and you walk a block, can you stop and rest for a moment then continue another block?" EXCUSE ME...were you listening at all? (And for those of you who don't think this really happens, it just happened this past week for my husband at a Neurosurgeon's interview!)
- If they tell you they are in pain, they are. These folks aren't drug addicts or dealers just trying to get a fix.
- Welcome to Post-Polio Health International's Official Website
- Post-Polio: The Daunting Issue - Post-polio Syndrome & Resources - Understanding the problems
Polio Then and Now- Post-polio is the debilitating remains of the feared Polio of the 1950's here in the Americas. This disease that ran rampant through the
- Post-Polio Syndrome Fact Sheet: National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)
- Post Polio Litaff Association www.postpoliolitaff.org
Post Polio Litaff, Association A.C _APPLAC Mexico